26.7.10

Milkman

As I went to the fridge and fished out a quart of ice cold milk, I reminisced about the milkman and how he delivered bottles of milk to suburban w.a.s.p.-y families in the morning. I actually became kind of sad because my era never saw the milkman. Quite, he was gone way before my time. There is a certain charm of having your milk delivered fresh daily by genial men. The idea takes me back to the early 1900s when life was, I guess you'd call, simple. When mommies baked chocolate chip cookies rather than buying them frozen and pre-cooked. When the neighbors all knew each other. When everything was still typed on vintage typewriters with that classic courier typeface. I think I would have liked having fresh bottles of milk delivered to me everyday. It was also much more eco-friendly than it is today surprisingly with all the activism towards going green. You would finish a bottle of milk and put the glass outside your house for the milkman to collect the next morning. They would go back to the factory to be cleaned and filled with milk for the next day. No wasted plastic. No recycling hassle. I can actually see why people love Mad Men so much. It's a reminder of the suburban levittown age. Just like glass bottles of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment