26.7.10

Facebook

One thing I really want to get off my mind and perhaps chest is the whole Facebook concept. I will admit, I, like so many people, have one albeit I don't use it as much as many of friends. Even though I have a Facebook account, I still don't understand the logic behind it. From what I understand, Facebook is a social networking site but is mostly used for friends to communicate with other friends. The thing is however, if people are friends with each other, wouldn't they have each other's phone numbers, hotmail or aim addresses, and so forth? I personally find writing messages to my friends for everyone to see a bit weird unless you're narcissistic and live off of attention. I love it when someone asks me through a wall post or private message if "I wanna hang". Obviously, it would be a lot easier and quicker for me to respond to if the message was a text instead of a post which for me to see involved me needing a computer, internet access and the random want to sign onto Facebook. Another thing I don't really understand is how Facebook is used for social networking.

From wikipedia, "A social network service focuses on building and reflecting social networks or social relations among people, e.g., who share interests and/or activities."

Now, I'm not sure about you but when I meet someone new and they ask to friend me or I ask to friend them, I don't usually ever talk to them afterwards unless they do become good friends. But if the person I met was specifically for "social networking" I am ninety-nine point nine percent sure I would never speak to them again. Actually, I'd say I speak to maybe ten friends on Facebook occasionally and no one regularly. Not on Facebook anyway. I don't even know how Facebook can enhance or foster relationships. It's not a dating site and I definitely do not add random strangers even if they have the exact same interests. Yes, I've heard the miracle story of two people meeting on Facebook and then getting married but that is a one in a billion chance for Facebook. I really don't think it strengthens friendships because friendships are created and enhanced by hanging out, doing things together, sharing secrets and gossip, not by wall posting for an hour straight on each other's walls. It might be something that will stay, but I'm not quite sure.

I just feel like Facebook is one of those new chic things that everyone uses and then will kind of just forget. *cough Myspace *cough

No comments:

Post a Comment